Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Ready for Christmas...I think!

I got the idea to make a wooden Nativity scene several years ago when we were visiting my cousin Barb (mine is nowhere near as cute as that one that inspired me). A friend of hers had made the cutest little wooden scene with chunky wood figures. As I was contemplating what to do for the boys for their Advent calendar this year, I thought of a 24 or 25 piece Nativity scene. I've never liked the idea of starting the day off with sugar, and Hot Wheels cars kind of loose their appeal after a while. So I came up with the crazy idea to make my own Nativity scene.

A BIG THANK-YOU goes to my Uncle Henry for fixing up my scroll saw in record time - he picked it up one Friday afternoon in November and had it done the next day! After spending several hours cutting out the wood pieces in the chilly fall air, I tried sanding 24 pieces by hand (most of these are eight to ten inches tall, and two inches thick). It was exhausting & I was getting nowhere fast. So from a nice early birthday present I received from my in-laws, I purchased a belt sander, and during a COLD stretch at the end of November, I finished up the sanding in only another few hours. Then began the priming & painting. Joshua helped with the priming, Caleb helped paint the trees. Unfortunately, after a few pieces had been finished and put out under the tree, the boys were playing with the figures like they were WWF wrestlers. So I have moved everything out of reach, on top of our computer armoire. After all the time and effort I put into these, I find it hard to watch my STUFF being tossed around by little boys! I don't know if you can see every piece clearly, but there is supposed to be 25 pieces. One piece is the barn. And if you're counting, each wise man holds a gift, which is separate from the wiseman. Andrew has sucked on at least two presents already. Joshua helped me paint the barn as well. I used a LOT of brown paint. In fact, painting was on hold for a few days until I could get to Michael's to replenish my brown paint supply.
The brown thing in front of Joseph is supposed to be a chicken - I know, it looks more like a duck. If I ever make another (years from now!!), I will have to work on my chicken sketch. Never mind how stressed out I got over my cows! I only added the pink noses later, after I thought I was done, but I couldn't get a good cow face drawn on! I think the pink noses work well. Anyway, with Christmas baking done and my Nativity scene completed, I THINK I'm ready for Christmas. Oh wait, I still have Christmas shopping. And another Christmas party tonight. And the boys' Christmas program tomorrow at school. And another family gathering on Saturday. I'm looking forward to next Christmas when I'll have NOTHING to do...and I say that every year, and come November, I come up with yet another GREAT project to take up all my free time!

Merry Christmas to all, and find time to relax and enjoy some good Christmas baking this year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really, really like your nativity scene!!!! I think the cows are very cute.. and thought that before I read you critizing their faces ;) I also really liked how the sheep look fluffy by how you cut them. GREAT JOB.

Erin said...

I love it, it's beautiful! I can't believe you did all the work yourself! Great job. And the animals are all very cute. The chicken looks like a chicken to me. :)