Tuesday, August 09, 2011

"No thanks" for the Birthday Stings

 The night before Joshua's REAL birthday party (ie. cake!), he had a very unfortunate incident.
We were all outside in our backyard, and the oldest 2 boys were playing football.  I guess the football or a boy hit a wasp nest and suddenly, Joshua's laughing/screaming...no, hysterical, on the ground.  I didn't know what was going on at first! 

And then I saw the wasps swarming him.  It was a frightening scene, and since I've been a victim to two wasp swarms/attacks myself, I knew exactly how he was feeling.  Within 30 seconds, we had him in the house (while trying to round up the younger children who were in the tent, totally unaware of any potential danger of the now very angry wasps) and I had given him an antihistamine.  I called Health Links and they told me to put on a meat tenderizer paste for 20 minutes, which didn't help, and that I could also give him Tylenol, which I also did.  And ice.  We iced that eye a LOT that evening, but it didn't really help.  It was practically swollen shut within an hour of being stung.  (Aside from his eye, I was able to find 3 other "sting sites" on his head).

"Giant donut".   Mmmmmmedicine?  :)


 Friday evening (the evening of THE wasp attack), Mike went to the store to buy some poison and sprayed the nest.  The next morning, he was able to safely cut the vines (hanging on our fence) and remove the wasp nest, put it in a garbage bag, filled it with water and tied it shut.  Several hours later, we took a look at it.  The white things are wasp larvae.  Yuck.

I think we were very fortunate that only one of us got stung and that it didn't happen when any little one's were outside in the back without an adult supervising them.  Yikes!


 Caaaaaaake!


It was delicious, very chocolatey and just a bit root beer-y. 
If you're considering making this cake, I would recommend using less cocoa and
more rootbeer in the icing.  Some how.  Or, perhaps choose a higher quality Root Beer. 
Someone suggested Virgil's.  Am not familiar with it.

The birthday boy thoroughly enjoyed his cake!


 Sunday - killed about 47 wasps using 2 of these traps.  :)

No comments: