Tuesday, July 11, 2006

My Soapbox


Here's something funny that Andrew likes to do. He'll get into this position, on hands & feet, put his head down & lift his bum up in the air. He thinks it's so funny when we stick our heads down between his legs where he can see us. He'll do this over & over again, just laughing the whole time! So here's Joshua making Andrew laugh!

Joshua loves to make Andrew laugh. It's so cute all the things he'll do to his baby brother to get him to laugh. He does lots of tickling and "peek-a-boo" with Andrew. It's so sweet to see the 2 youngest boys playing together. Yesterday evening, I biked to the Forks with Joshua & Andrew in the bike trailer. Mike & Caleb met us there - they took the van. Caleb & Joshua are too big to fit in the bike trailer together. Anyway, the whole time there (it takes me 18-20 minutes) Joshua is talking & commenting on EVERYTHING!! Andrew is pretty much quiet the whole time, sucking his thumb. He's more like Caleb so far in this regard. But I just thought how good it is for Andrew to hear Joshua talk all the time - hopefully it will help him to talk sooner, so he can communicate with us & let us know what he needs/wants. And then once he's talking, I'll probably want him to be quiet!!

I've been trying to think of what kind of lesson I can learn from this (and there are many), but I guess the main one is just to be content with where my child is at and enjoy this time with him now. Waiting for him to learn new things (change) will not change my love for him. He will still be the same little person, even though he'll do different things, like walk & talk. So I will enjoy this time when he crawls & whines; and I'll enjoy this time with Joshua where he talks non-stop and asks more questions in a 5 minutes span that I care to answer in an entire day; and I'll enjoy this time with Caleb where he gets grumpy when I look at him and yet he tells me that he wants to marry me someday. These things will change soon enough, and some day, in the not too distant future, I'll long for these crazy, busy days!! So, take a big breath & enjoy what you have right now; become content & don't always wish for something else. Because when you get where you think you want to be, you'll still find things that you would like to be different. If you can not be content with where you are now, it becomes a never-ending pursuit to happiness. This is turning into a bit of a soap-box, so I'll jump down & get on with the rest of my day!

1 comment:

randy and cara said...

my parents have pictures of me and my dad doing that exact same thing. i didn't know it was a common childhood activity.

good to see your blog and be able to stay connected with your life.

i love your gallery... good job Ange

Cara